Carly Ann Lived December 24, 2010 to January 7, 2011
Carly Ann - USA
Mother's GBS Status: Tested negative. Gestational Age: 38 weeks 3 days. Age Harmed: 16 days old. When Carly was born we couldn't have been happier. We hadn't wanted another for a while, but the day we decided to wait I found out that we were having another child. We were happy and had wanted a boy and had no girl names as I had hoped that my baby was a baby boy and we would be done. We found out at 20 weeks that we were having a little girl and we were having trouble finding a name for her. Well I had an idea we could use the name we had picked out for our boy. So i put a "y" at the end of Carl and made it in to "Carly."
At my 30 week appointment my doctor could not find a heartbeat. we freaked out while the doctor stepped out to get the ultrasound room ready for us. She did the ultrasound and found her heartbeat and we sighed in relief. The rest of my pregnancy went rather fast and, at 38 weeks, she decided that since I was at at 3 cm. that we would induce since Christmas was in 4 days and I'd probably go into labor while she was away. So she scheduled me for the 23rd and I left. Five hours later I got a call and was told that they were full for the next day and would have me come in at 4 am on the 24th.
The day came and we rushed to the hospital 20 minutes early and got hooked up and ready. About 5 am the doctor came in and broke my waters and about four a clock i started feeling the need to push. The doctor came in, checked me, and said that it was okay to push and 3 minutes later our sweet baby was born at 8 lbs,, 7 oz. and 20 inches. Breastfed like a pro. Everything was perfect. Got out Christmas day and from then on everything was easy and was organized like she was meant to be here with us.
The night before she passed something did not feel right and had planned to take her to her doctor in the morning. I fed her and set her down to sleep in her bassinet and layer down. She woke up and got sick and would not settle. I cleaned her up and handed her to her daddy and cleaned myself up. By the time i was done her daddy got her calmed down and settled and decided that she would sleep in between us just in case she got sick so we could get to her faster. We all fell asleep and six hours later I was jolted from my sleep for some odd reason and found her lifeless. My husband did not believe me when I told him. I told him to hold her. He was panicked. I grabbed the phone and dialed 911. Twenty minutes later after the ambulance took her to the doctor's, the doctor told us they had done all that they can do and that nothing would bring her back. We were able to see her for a few hours until the coroner came.
They called five days later and said it was most likely that pneumonia was the culprit. On March 20th we were given the autopsy report that said she had gotten the pneumonia from GBS. Not a day goes by that I don't think that if only I would have taken her to the ER that night that she could still be here. I see other girls her age and think she should be doing what they're doing. My oldest misses her and my youngest doesn't understand yet.
— Victoria Sullivan, USA
To learn more about How to Help Protect Your Baby from Group B Strep (GBS), click HERE.