During my pregnancy I experienced many days nauseated with body aches (much different than my previous pregnancy with my oldest daughter). At approximately 5 months pregnant I was diagnosed with Partial Placenta Previa, which later corrected itself. On my 35th week I was tested for GBS. During my next doctor's visit I was told that my GBS test showed positive results, and during the same appointment I advised the doctor that I felt very unusual and expressed deep concerns that something was not right and asked to be induced. Due to the baby and my vital signs appearing normal I was instructed that it would be best to wait for a normal delivery and was told that at the time of delivery I would receive an antibiotic to prevent my daughter from contracting GBS.
On January 2nd, my fluid began to be leaking and I went to the hospital in which I would later deliver at. After negative results on the test that was conducted to show whether I was leaking or not, I was released home... although the leaking continued, and for the next several days I became very sick and was unable to get out of the bed. On January 4th I returned to the hospital experiencing signs of labor (contractions) and bleeding. Upon my arrival I had hardly dilated and the monitor showed very minor signs of contractions, and I was almost sent home again. A few hours later I was finally admitted and throughout the remainder of the night I experienced excruciating pains (which felt like the worst contractions ever without a pause) but still not showing any potential signs of labor, at this time I had not received the required antibiotic. At approximately 7am the next morning, December 5th, the on-call shift doctor came in and notice that I had developed a temperature of 101.3 and that I appeared to be freezing in a convoluting state (with 3 heat blankets on me and my teeth chattering, uncontrollably), and stated that the membranes appeared to be pre-ruptured and distressed, and momentarily finished rupturing my placenta. During the time of deliver my body was in such distress that I experienced multiple difficulties and was unable to barely stay awake. After approximately 30 minutes of pushing (still with no baby) we learned that the baby had a temperature of 103, and I was told it's crucial to get her out, at which point I pushed with everything in me in order to save my baby... and then Blair Lynn arrived at 7:56 that morning.
It was also later revealed that the amniotic fluid was low in volume, and that I received the mentioned antibiotic at 3am on the 5th of December.
In weight and in height Blair appear to be a healthy baby, however she was red in color (that I can't describe) and immediately rushed for testing and later started to multiple antibiotics to treat multiple types of bacteria related to ingesting the fluids and also GBS . At the time I had no clue that her contracting GBS would be later be life threatening. She was later dismissed on the 6th day after completing the antibiotics. I was told that she was a very well, healthy baby and handed paperwork regarding GBS and told that there should be nothing to worry about.
Within the next 2 days Blair and I went to her scheduled 2 week checkup and she was given medication to help with thrush that she developed from the prior antibiotics. On her next appointment days later to check on her thrush, I expressed concerns about her sleeping schedule and how irritable she had become since being home from the hospital and was told that it was more than likely colic. Throughout the next 2.5 weeks I tried everything that I knew to do including switching her formula to help ease the colic. On January 11th, Blair vomited her bottle and became very colicky like, and I just figured it was that time of night and at the moment did not think anything else about it. But, then Blair started crying like I had never heard and she felt warm to the touch. While checking her temp of 101 she also started to become very pale. I then gave her some infant Tylenol and within moments she began to settle down and she was placed in her bassinet, when I noticed she became even more pale. During a phone call with a friend (certified EMS) she then started to breath differently than normal, and I was instructed to take her to our local hospital. On the way to the hospital (2 min drive) Blair was very discolored and her body was very limp, and she even stopped breathing. While driving, I tried to open her airway and do everything imaginable to help her.
When we got the local hospital she was stabilized and we were then rushed to a larger hospital (same as birth) that could perform the needed medical test and give her the attention that she required. After many tests Blair had positive results for GBS and bacterial meningitis, and had in the meantime been placed on a ventilator with other major procedures done in order to save her life, that was quickly fading before my very eyes. On the morning of January 12th a jet arrived to transport her to children's hospital that was experienced in critical cases like hers and she was place in the infant critical care unit. After many long hours, days that seemed like a lifetime and close observation Blair never showed signs of improvement. Multiple test showed no signs of no brain activity, and many of her organs had already shut down, others damaged, along with support to elevate her BP, heart rate, oxygen and etc... During those few days I watched Blair's life quickly fade away, after many hours of prayer, begging for her life, and refusing to listen to the doctors tell me that there was nothing that could be done Blair was taken off the ventilator and was pronounced dead on January 15th. :,((
To anyone reading this I strongly encourage that if you or someone you know is positive for GBS please educate yourself and become aware of what could happen, and although some have an higher education or license to work in the medical field only you know your body, and be very adamant and make sure that someone is listening and understands that something may indeed be wrong. I only wish I knew then what to look for and the truth about being GBS positive meant, because I strongly believe that my Angel Blair Lynn would still be here today. Educate yourself before it's too late!!!! — Brianne Harrison, USA
To learn more about How to Help Protect Your Baby from Group B Strep (GBS), click HERE.